|August 1, 2017|
AUDITIONS: The Hunchback of Notre Dame
MUSIC BY ALAN MENKEN LYRICS BY STEPHEN SCHWARTZ
BOOK BY PETER PARNELL
BASED ON THE CLASSIC NOVEL BY VICTOR HUGO
Directed by Paul Jacques, Musical Direction by Jubel Obien
Choreography by Dimyana Pelev
WHEN: Tuesday, August 1st, 2017 6PM
WHERE: California Theater, 562 W 4th St, San Bernardino, CA 92401
There is pay.
Auditions will consist of two phases:
-Singing: 16-32 bars of a Broadway-style song that best shows off your vocal style and strengths. Piano accompanist will be available; No CDs please.
-Please sing an appropriate Broadway musical theater song or rock song. NO Sondheim.
-Movement: Be prepared to learn and perform a musical theatre dance routine.
CALL BACK WILL INVOLVE READS FROM THE SCRIPT AND ASSIGNED SONGS
ALL ROLES ARE OPEN:
- Claude Frollo-Archdeacon of Notre Dame Cathedral and the most powerful cleric in Paris; the reluctant caretaker of Quasimodo. He will do whatever it takes to rid the city of the gypsy “vermin,” even as he lusts after Esmeralda. Calculating, manipulative, and obsessive. Gender: Male, age: 40 to 50. Vocal range top: Bb4, bottom: E2
- Jehan Frollo-Claude’s reckless younger brother. With the gypsy Florika, he fathers Quasimodo, who is left in his brother’s care. Wild, passionate, and strong-willed. Gender: Male, age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: Eb5, bottom: F3
- Florika-A gypsy and Quasimodo’s mother. Gender: Female, age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: F#5, bottom: E4
- Quasimodo-The deformed bell-ringer of Notre Dame and Claude Frollo’s charge. Lonely and staunchly obedient to Frollo, he possesses a vivid imagination that brings to life the bells and gargoyles of the cathedral. Despite his shyness and uncertainty, he quickly befriends Esmeralda. Big-hearted, and brave when need be. Gender: Male, age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: Bb5, bottom: Bb2.
- Clopin Trouillefou-The clever and charismatic King of the Gypsies. An air of mystery surrounds Clopin, who often leaves the scene in a puff of smoke. As the master of ceremonies for the Feast of Fools, he is witty and playful, but he boasts a darker, serious nature when not performing for the crowd. Gender: Male, age: 30 to 40. Vocal range top: F#5, bottom: D.
- Captain Phoebus de Martin-Returning to Paris after serving in the war, Phoebus takes up his new position as Captain of the Cathedral Guard. Overconfident yet charming, this handsome, strong soldier makes the ladies swoon, yet his moral compass is also strong, and he openly defies the corrupted Frollo. Gender: Male, age: 25 to 40. Vocal range top: Ab4, bottom: A2
- Esmeralda-A beautiful and free-spirited gypsy who possesses the strong sense of justice and morality that Frollo lacks. Compassionate, she frees Quasimodo from the frenzied mob at the Feast of Fools and, against her better judgment, falls for the cocky Phoebus. Gender: Female, age: 20 to 30. Vocal range top: D5, bottom: E3
- Ensemble: Madam, Father Dupin, Congregation, Saint Aphrodisius, Lieutenant Frederic Charlus, King Louis XI, Gypsies, Gargoyles, Soldiers, Choir and Citizens of Paris.
Hunchback Performances Date: September 16, 2017, 2PM AND 8PM
Rehearsal Times: Monday through Friday, 6-10PM, Saturday 10-4, three weeks plus tech week
NOTE: Tech week rehearsals may involve 10/12 days.
Hunchback Rehearsal Dates: August 21-Spetember 15, 2017
For information contact the Director Paul Jacques: firstname.lastname@example.org